3lb 5oz stewing beef, cut into cubes
6oz streaky bacon
3 tbsp olive oil
12 baby onions, peeled
18 button mushrooms, left whole
3 carrots cut into quarters or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 cloves of garlic, crushed and grated
425ml red wine
425ml oz chicken or beef stock
For the roux
1. Brown the beef and bacon in the olive oil in a hot
casserole or heavy
2. Remove the meat and place in the onions, mushrooms and
carrots, and brown.
3. Place these back in the casserole, along with the herbs
4. Cover with red wine and stock and simmer for one hour or until
meat and vegetables are cooked.
5. To make the roux, in a separate pan melt the butter, add
and cook for two minutes.
6. When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
7. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and add one tbsp
8. Whisk the mixture until the roux is broken up and the
thickened, allowing to boil.
9. Replace the meat and vegetables, and taste for seasoning.
10. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with champ